Thursday, March 27, 2008

Sun Bath

The sun slivers through the west facing windows around 4:00pm these days, and by 4:30 there is usually a full-fledged pool of sunlight on the rug around the coffee table. On Tuesdays and Thursdays when I work from home, I love to watch Streak's reaction to this gift of nature. She rouses from her deep sleep, and casts her gaze on the sun patch, trotting over to inspect after a full-body cat stretch. She tries hard to figure out the source of this mysterious light and heat, checking the windows, walls and even the ceiling! I think she eventually decides that the source doesn't matter -- it is a delightful yet fleeting phenomenon and she'd better take advantage of it quickly. This results in her collapsing on the floor in a pool of light for about 20 minutes with a blissed-out look on her face.

Today she jumped up on the coffee table, where the sun was most concentrated, and did a few pacing circles. I think she was apprehensive about lying down on the glass (she hasn't quite figured out how to trust transparent surfaces yet). I covered the table with a throw blanket for her and she was able to enjoy her sun bath at last. She looks very beautiful to me with her fur aglow -- but then again, I AM her mom.

No comments: