Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Some Dinners

On Sunday afternoon, we made a trip out to Whole Foods to do our shopping for the week. Because our flight got in at 12:30pm, we had just missed the farmer's market which had us both feeling a bit glum. Upon close inspection of the Whole Foods produce department, I realized that there were quite a few veggies (and fruits) that I had been really missing over the past few months because they are out of season at the LJ farmer's market - squash, sweet potato, red cabbage, broccolini, cauliflower, mango - to name a few. It is actually really nice to be eating these things this week.

Sunday night we were a bit lazy from the lack of sleep during our trip, so opted for a black bean soup from the refrigerated section (made by Whole Foods, not by us), supplemented with red cabbage and toast brushed with garlic and olive oil, topped with a nice quality melted parmesan cheese. You can't see from this picture, but I added a dollop of sour cream to my soup, something that strangely, I had been craving! Dylan isn't a big fan of sour cream, but seemed happy to see me eagerly swirling it into my soup with a spoon.

The next night (last night), we picked up some salmon from The Fishery, our local fish shop now that we live in PB. Sometimes we'll still make the trip up north to El Pescador, especially if we want chowder, or perfectly ripe avocados. We marinated the salmon in a soy/mustard/ginger mixture and served it with broccolini and a sweet potato.
Tonight I'm going to try to make miso soup. I have the yellow miso paste and tofu, but still need to pick up scallions and the ingredients for a dashi stock, the key to a perfect miso soup.

1 comment:

Chelsea said...

You guys are making me hungry! Congratulations on the plant.