Sunday, April 13, 2008

Bread: Ciabatta from the new book

I got this book in the mail this week - this is the first attempt from it. The author is the same that wrote the wheat bread book that I've been using for the last few months (and loving). This book was written before that and deals with all types of breads.

I think it came out pretty well. A couple of observations:
  1. I bought a baking stone today. Definitely cooked nicer.
  2. He recommended 'spraying water' into the oven in the beginning of the bake to create steam. I don't have a spray bottle so I just threw ice cubes in (I think I read that in some other bread book). It worked fine but took about 15 minutes longer than the recipe said to bake.
Here is the loaf after the initial rise:


After splitting into smaller loaves:

And the finished product:

It tastes pretty good...it's a little dense, nothing like the huge bubbles in the book, but still good :).

No comments: